Friday, October 20, 2006

Hilton Head

This place is the opposite of what we expected. The anchorage is free, the dinghy dockage is free, use of the marina is free, and all the necessary stores are nearby. The beach is very nice, I rode 19 miles on it today on the bike.

We'll do some work on the boat and get to know this place for a week or so. Mom and Dad will arrive on Tuesday the 24th for 3 days.

Now, back by popular demand, is Rachel's Corner:



*Rachel’s Corner*
Tips + Info.

How to adjust to boat life:

What most kids think happens when you move is the exact opposite of moving onto a boat. First, what a regular person thinks is you decorate your house and room. Then, you make some friends around the block. When school starts you get new school supplies, get excited about meeting a new teacher, and you wonder what this school will be like. You make friends when you move, and you don’t have to worry about your new lamp breaking because the house rocked from a wave. You're usually not too worried, and you know life is not a straight road. So, this move isn’t the end of your life. Hey, you don’t have to learn the different parts of your home. You don’t have to worry about getting seasick, or anything like that. Life just moves on, you miss your friends, you might cry, be sad about it, get frustrated, but you get pretty much new everything.
Well, when we moved on Stardust, I knew that it wasn’t going to be the typical move. But, life is just a little more complicated than I thought. WHAM! Here I am, stuck (well, not really stuck) on a boat with my parents. Yes, I knew this would happen; but, I had no clue that we would be talking, eating, laughing, singing, sleeping, joking, telling, and hearing each other for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 4 months a year, and etc. I thought there would be at least 20 other girls my age living on boats. So far though, I have only met 1 other girl (Hayley, a really nice girl that I loved meeting), and have seen 2.
Okay, okay I’m making it sound awful, and horrid. Well, the truth is that living on a boat is one of the most magical, different, neat things that I have ever done, and possibly will ever do. I actually love it. Really, I do! The little drawbacks and hassles are only a quarter of all of the fun we have. Living with My parents 24/7 is more fun than it sounds. So, I just grit my teeth and bare through the bad stuff.
My advise to other 12 year old girls who move on a sail boat is that you just have to: 1.) trust every one on board 2.) you can still decorate your room (mine’s tropical themed) 3.) ignore all of the annoying stuff and 4.) get a regular routine going. I’m not trying to sound like I mastered this whole living-on-a-boat thing, but I’ve managed to survive. Also, I guess I should point out that this is so much fun. I enjoy every day of it. So, if you get the chance, you should try living on a boat.

Rachel

2 Comments:

Blogger GW said...

Well, this 'old guy' of 45 thinks that Rachel has adjusted quite amazingly. It's great reading her thoughts about boat life. The world could probably benefit from a book for young ladies about how to adjust to boat life.

To see photos of Rachels well decorated 'room' you can click here: http://web.mac.com/gwmeadows/iWeb/blog/StardustPhotos.html

5:15 AM  
Blogger stancilsatsea said...

Hi Stardust crew!
We are faithfully reading about your trip and now we are plain old jealous. We hauled "Mariah" out and are back to being land lubbers again. We are hoping to get together with you again as you make your way north. There are several possibilities that would be fun...we'll call you sometime soon! Have fun! The Stancils

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home