Tuesday, June 20, 2006


Tropical storm Alberto swept past Tampa on June 11-13. Winds in the storm center were about 70mph. Winds hit 40kts in the marina while I was onboard during that period. The other live-aboards next to me were also busy tying extra lines to the dock and giving their boats extra space from the docks. We didn’t get much sleep Sunday or Monday nights with the wind shrieking through the shrouds and the storm surge and waves providing plenty of noise as well. Every new bang in the night sent me back on deck to look for problems. Stardust seemed to be saying “Take it easy, we can handle this”. It turned out to be a good “practice storm” for me. We didn’t have any problems.

The previous Monday, the 5th, Kathy, Rachel, and I were joined by Terry Reynolds, his son Jeff, and Jeff’s friend Chloe on an afternoon sail to Egmont Key. We anchored just offshore of the island, and went for a swim. We then sailed off the anchor for practice which went well.
Navigating home up the Manatee River by memory instead of chartplotter, I nonchalantly passed on the wrong side of a marker, and we ran aground. We easily backed off with the strong power of our Yanmar, and I thought about how I had let down my guard, being almost home, feeling complacent. No damage, and a valuable lesson (but I’d prefer not to learn lessons the hard way). Kathy still trusts me for some reason (maybe because she knows Mom and Dad will be onboard with us soon). What a wonderful wife I have!

Alberto has left us increasingly nervous about our late departure, but we don’t have a choice. Still much to do before we can leave. As much as we’d like to depart on July 4th amid the rocket’s red glare of Tampa fireworks, it will probably be around the 7th when we shove off.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Mrs. Lee. Madison Gilbert wanted me to tell you hi (it's her Mom, Jennifer here!) and that she hopes you have a wonderful time. She'll be following your voyage through this site and keeping a notebook of all the entries. You can reach her through my email address if you have time (jennifer.gilbert@harcourt.com). I know she'll miss you next year but she's so excited for you for your adventure. Best of luck to you and your family, and we can't wait to see the next installment of "As the Stardust Turns". Always, Jennifer and Madison

5:52 AM  
Blogger J.C. Brown said...

Thanks for the link to this Blog; I'll betcha I'm gonna read a LOT of very cool stories here over the next 2 years! Best of winds and weather Lees!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs.Lee its Kevin Maharaj. I do hope you and your family are doing well on your voyage. My email is vmaharaj@cfl.rr.com i hope to hear from you. May god keep you and your family safe through your voyage.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Ice Queen Elsa said...

Jim, Kathy and Racheal great to read your log and view the pictures. Have a great time and keep us all up to date!

6:57 AM  
Blogger GW said...

So, I guess you'll aways anchor in the LEE side of every island :)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Marcelo said...

Hello Jim,

Heard about your voyage and was cool to see the link to your blog on the OZ Report. Hope you and your family have a great time in this adventure and wish you guys the best of luck in all.

Your Friend,

Marcelo Zanetti

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim and Cathy. I (Barry Bateman from Vancouver) just read about your latest adventure. It's been so long since I've seen you guy's and the strangest thing is that I've just recently got married and my wife, Gerrie, has a 33ft yatch which has also got me into sailing. Send me an email at flyxc@telus.net so we can stay in touch. Good luck to you, Kathy and Rachel on your new adventure.

Barry Bateman

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home